Tuesday, July 1, 2008

New Planetshakers album is ok...

I picked this up the other week after seeing Henry Seeley (one of the leaders) at a worship conference the other week and really liking the things he had to say in the clinics. 

The album is quite awesome to have pumping in the car, and there are some useable congregation songs on here, but like so many of these albums (Planetshakers, Hillsong United etc...) I find myself asking the same question... "Where is the grit?" There are glimpses, but it feels spread thin at times. They are great albums to listen to, and they have some powerful moments, but I sort of shrug my shoulders at the songwriting's depth and breadth. But boy, are they catchy songs, some of them really do get stuck in your head!

I give it a 3 out of 5. My 1 being "Marilyn Manson could write better songs than this one" and 5 being "Your love reaches me" which is an older Vineyard album which for me is one very powerful album.

2 comments:

Larry said...

It is very helpful for you to provide reference points for your rating, so your reader can calibrate your metric with their own preferences.

I love the title of your blog, BTW, "Not just a ticket to Heaven." When I was in college I decided that there was no honor in looking at the Christian faith as "fire insurance" or "pie in the sky, by and by", but it had to make a difference to our lives right now, today, on this earth.

Brad McFadden said...

Well I have checked out the music and it is as you say so I have no sarcastic comments. I wanted to leave some but am forced to say "thanks" for tuning me into a new band.