Sunday, September 21, 2008

Apostolic people

Kris Vallotton has blown my mind yet again.

It turns out that in Luke 6 when Jesus chose his 12 disciples to become apostles, he was calling them something that was actually a Roman term, and this is where it came from. This just blew my mind when I heard this on the latest podcast from Bethel, by Mr Vallotton.

When the Romans would take a city on one of their campaigns and come back to it later they would find that the culture of the city hadn't change. It belonged to the Romans, but I guess it wasn't functioning as Rome did, and a plan was then put in place to change that. 

So when an army would take over a city, a convoy would come in behind it and stay in the city and would change the culture of the city to become like Rome. The name of the leader of this convoy army? An apostle... Their job was to transform the place they were in to what Rome was. They were culture changers.

Here's my thought:

An ambassador represents a country or place, and that's about it. They just represent.

An apostle would change the culture around them, to the one they know it must become. They are visionary people, who know the future as it must be and take as many into it as possible.

I'm going to try and find some more reading material on this now, I might dig out Gab's big book on Roman History and start digging through it and see what I can find :)

No comments: