Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tattoo blog comment

Here's something I wrote on a friends blog, he was asking about Christians take on tattoos, and here is what my answer was:

“Paul writes in Romans (I particular Romans 7, but in a lot of this book he is covering this topic) about how we are not bound to the Law anymore, however, that the Law still points out sin. I wish I had studied into this before I got my tattoos. Paul talks about how Jesus broke the power that sin has on our lives in that we now have life, not death as the punishment for breaking the Law (Praise Jesus!) but he also then says how the Law itself has not been abolished, just the penalty of breaking it has been.

Leviticus, is a book that points out one thing. God wants his people to be set apart from the rest of culture. He wants a group of people who are holy. (Leviticus 19:2) So, when he said not to cut hair, or get tattoos, or eat a pork Subway, he is asking the tribes to do one thing. Be set apart - be different and be holy.

In getting your tattoos, will you be setting yourself apart for holiness, or joining the ranks of sin. That's a good question to ask Josh before you go ahead and do it.

Hope that gets your Bible pages flicking and your brain turning...”

No comments: